It seems like only yesterday that the Rowe Elementary School was struck by lightning; the building and all its contents were destroyed by a devastating fire on August 4, 2012. Now, however, the future is bright. Having been generously housed in the Hawlemont Elementary School in Charlemont to educate our students since the fire, the Rowe School staff has continued to provide an excellent education for all our students. Ground breaking for our new school took place October, 2013. Planned opening for the new facility, which will serve as the educational and social heart of the community, is August 27th, 2014.
Insurance funds will cover the construction costs; however we urgently need your help for the areas of need that the insurance settlement will not adequately cover. The Rowe School, with the support of the Mary Lyon Foundation, is embarking on a capital campaign to ensure a fantastic start for our students this fall in the new building. The areas where we need your help are:
- Playground – Play structures, mulch and sand box
- Physical Education – Tumbling mats (large and small), and outdoor equipment
- Literature & Library – Books, subscriptions, reading area furnishings
- Theatre & Performance Program – Back stage curtain, stage lighting, movie screen
- Music Program – Small hand instruments, band instruments
- Visual Arts Program – art supplies, furnishings/equipment/supplies for the Project/Community Room
- Technology – Laptops, iPads, SmartBoard equipment, communication equipment, wireless microphone system for hearing impaired
If you are able to donate, it is possible to specify that your contribution be utilized for a specific area of need, or you can make a general contribution and allow your donation to be allocated to the area of greatest need. We appreciate whatever you are able to offer, whether it is large or small. Either way, the need is great, and the need is now. Thank you very much.
Friends of the Rowe School
Janet Cowie, Chair • Becky Richardson • Carol Berliner • Jodi Brown • Bill Knittle • Judy Pierce • Maggie Rice • Marjorie Morse • Sharon Hudson • Ellen Miller • Donna Flagg • Paul McLatchy III • Kerri McLatchy • Sue Samoriski • Bill Loomis • Susie & Wayne Zavotka